Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Lack of Menstral Cycle

 tiff032 - Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:50 pm

I am 17 years old and I am suffering from a long time absence of a menstral cycle. To say the least a ten-month absence. :( I have no idea what is causing it nor how to get it back, and i am really scared this could effect my ability to have children in the future. :cry: What do I do. Where can I get help. Another thing is I am extremly terrified of the Gynocolgist. :shock: Is there an herbal way out?!!!!!!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:13 am

User avatar Hello,

Secondary amenorrhea is defined as absence of menstruation for three normal menstrual cycles or 6 months in a woman with previously regular menstruation.[1]

Causes include pregnancy, ectopic pregnancy (especially if you have had a tubal ligation), use of hormonal birth control methods (such as birth control pills or hormonal injections or implants), recently stopping birth control pills or breast-feeding. Other causes such as rapid weight loss, obesity, excessive exercise or participation in endurance sports, menopause, severe stress or lifestyle change, use of certain medications and hormone imbalance. Other, more serious causes of missed periods include tumors, pituitary disorders, and other glandular problems involving the ovaries, thyroid, or adrenal glands. These problems are rare. In addition there are abnormalities in the anatomy of the reproductive organs and chromosomal etiologies.

A pregnancy test (urine or serum hCG) should be performed in a reproductive-age woman with normal secondary sexual characteristics and normal pelvic examination findings who has amenorrhea.

If the results of the pregnancy test are negative, amenorrhea should be evaluated using the following assessments: serum TSH and prolactin levels, FSH levels, estrogen status and evaluation of pituitary and hypothalamic function.[1]

You needn't be afraid of the gynecologist as s/he is there to help you. It is better to seek help now than to wait on something that could affect your future.

Best regards.

1. Jonathan S. Berek: Novak's Gynecology, 13th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2002.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us