Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: promethazine and false positives

maglmadi - Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:30 pm

Two weeks ago my kids got the flu. The three of us saw the doctor together. I only had nausea while the kids had the full blown flu. the doctor gave me promethazine 25 mg tablets and said take half a pill every four hours as needed. well in the course of two weeks i have taken five and a half of theses pills, the last one four days ago. i am four days late and decided to take a pregnancy test. i took two, both were positive. i then remembered the information sheet on the promethazine said may cause false negative/positive in a pregnancy test. maybe i never had the flu maybe i was pregnant. my doctor is out of town untill Monday and i can't wait that long. is it possible i am not pregnant because of the promethazine, and would a blood test give an accurate test result. please help[/b][/quote]
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:23 pm

I have checked exhaustively the interactions, cautions, contra-indications and side-effects of this drug and found no evidence that it affects the results of a pregnancy test.

It is one of the safer antihistaminic drugs that can be used in pregnancy. If it is true that it interferes with the results of a pregnancy test, it would be more likely to give a false negative rather than a false positive result. The drug acts for up to 12 hours and traces will therefore not be present in the blood 4 days after discontinuing the drug.

A blood pregancy test is a more accurate test, so you can have that done for confirmation.

I hope this information is helpful.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us