Question: Excess vaginal discharge

Anonymous125 - Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:35 pm

You'll have to forgive me as I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I honestly don't know:

I recently began having sex. I'm on birth control and condoms are ALWAYS used. The first time I had sex, my hymen was stretched/broken and I bled, as I know is common with women during their first time. Well, before my sexual encounters, I can't say I had massive amounts of vaginal discharge. I've noticed now that I have more than I had before, not an incredible amount, but it is an increase. I realize during pregnancy women may produce more, but I've taken numerous home pregnancy tests to rule that out. The discharge is not foul, does not cause itching. It's basically just as the discharge I was having before, only increased, So I'm led to believe it's not from an STD. My question is: Could having an intact hymen prevent some of the discharge from coming out? Catch it, if you will. Then after having the hymen broken, allow it to flow out more?

I hope that makes sense and that I can get some answers from an MD, thank you!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:22 am

Glands inside the vagina and cervix make small amounts of fluid. This fluid flows out of the vagina each day, carrying out old cells that have lined the vagina. This is the body's way of keeping the vagina healthy and clean. The discharge is usually clear or milky and doesn't smell bad.

The color and thickness of the discharge change during the monthly cycle. The discharge is thicker when a woman ovulates, when a woman breastfeeds or when a woman is sexually excited.

Changes that may signal a problem include an increase in the amount of discharge, a change in the color or smell of the discharge, and irritation, itchiness or burning in or around your vagina. This is called vaginitis. A discharge that's stained with blood when you're not having your period could also be a sign of a problem. If you have any of these signs, you should talk to your doctor.

Normal vaginal discharge is clear or white. The color and thickness of the discharge change during the monthly cycle. The discharge is thicker when a woman ovulates, when a woman breastfeeds or when a woman is sexually excited. During ovulation, about two weeks after the last menstrual period, it may become stretchy and slippery. A change in the color or amount of discharge, especially when accompanied by other symptoms, may indicate the presence of an infection.

If this continue then I think you need to be evaluated by a gynecologist. No this is not a manifestation of a broken hymen.