Question: White spot in throat, please respond!

jesscrabbler - Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:54 pm

Dear doctors,

I am very scared about a problem I've been having and hope you will respond to this email soon. The earliest apointment I could get with an OB-GYN in my area is mid-April, but I am desperate for some information before that.

I have urinary problems so I've seen a gynecologist once (in addition to my urologist), who did a PAP Smear and tested for some STDS (cannot remember which ones). It came back fine. I've had two sexual partners, one of whom I am now engaged to. They did/do not have STDs to my knowledge or theirs. I have pain with sex that is attributed to my bladder problem, but the problem I'm writing you about seems to be unrelated. No other major symptoms to speak of except the one I am about to explain.

I occasionally get a white patch in the back of my throat, normally in the same spot. It does not get very large -- It is maybe 1/4 the size of a penny and sometimes smaller. I can tell when it is there because it feels like something is stuck in the back of my throat when I swallow. I can see it when I look at my throat in the mirror and I oftentimes use my pinky finger to reach back and pick it out. It goes away (or I pick it away) in small chunks or sometimes the whole thing at once. Its consistency is hard but not very hard, as it can be sort of smooshed up into little, softer pieces. The thing that makes me the most concerned is that it has a distinct smell that I can smell on my fingers after I've had it in my hands. I cannot pinpoint what it smells like, but it is a distinct, fairly unpleasent smell. The reason the smell is so concerning to me is because my first partner's breath smelled similar to this smell once or twice, usually when he had not eaten in quite a long time. This may sound silly, but I used to think it was a smell that could be associated with starving people. Anyway, I am extremely worried that my former partner may have given me some sort of STD that has the symptom of developing a small white growth in the back of the mouth.

Please get back to me with any information you might have that relates to my problem. Thank you so much!!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:01 am

User avatar Hi jesscrabbler,
I'm not one of the doctors but I will try and give you a little information. In my opinion it doesn't sound like a STD. If you still have your tonsils, sometimes indentations will form in the tonsils allowing the trapping of food and the build up of bacteria which will cause a foul odor. Also sometimes strep will give a grapelike odor. I would suggest an evaluation if this again occurs but I would attribute the odor to bacteria and not a STD.
 GordonShumway - Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:52 pm

I have had almost the same thing. about 3 months ago I kept getting this sensation that I has something stuck in my throat. I saw a small white lumpish thing near a flap in my tonsils on the left. I got a flash light and picked it out easily. it did not hurt but it bled a bit. the small lump looked kind of "cottage cheesy" but was rubbery and crumbled. It smelt really bad and I kind of figured it was somefood that had got caught in my saliva gland or something. For the last week I had the same feeling(this is three months later) and found anouther one in the same place. same look and smell. I have been trying to find some indication on all the internet MD sites but none really fit untill I read your article. I am leaning towards some bacteria infection like strep which comes closest to the symptoms I have found. Have you found out any more? I am going to see a doc in a few days because none of the leads lead to anything good as far as I can see.
 jennykert - Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:28 am

I have had this many times and it is food stuck in tonsils. It becomes dislodged, you feel it in your throat, get ahold of it and it smells bad.

It is pretty common. I actually clean out my tonsils from time to time and take these small deposits out of there.

I was also concerned about this, but my ear nose and throat doctor answered this for me.

Jenny
 jennykert - Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:45 pm

As an added note. It seems that sometimes I have this alot, and then I go for long periods of time, where I do not have it at all.

I was convinced that it was something 'being made' by my throat because of an infection, but my ENT doctor was certain about what it was.

Jenny