Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Lump on my vagina

 Radioflyer - Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:30 am

I'm 19 and not sexually active. I have a large lump on my vagina/cervix. It is on the left side and I would say it is probably about the size of a small bouncy ball. It is right at the entrance of my vagaina. I was wondering if it could be a cyst of some sort. I didn't know if I should go see a doctor about it or not.

 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:25 am

User avatar Hi Radioflyer,
Bartholin's abscess or cyst may cause a "lump" on either side of the vaginal opening and is caused by blockage of the Bartholin's gland. It may cause tenderness, and may be noticable when walking. I would recommend that you call your physician for an evaluation. If this is found to be the cause you may be directed to soak in warm water 3 or 4 times a day for several days to help localize the infection (if it's an abcess) and it causes the abcess to open and drain on it's own. This does not always solve the problem because sometimes the opening will quickly close before drainage is complete. Surgical incision results in complete drainage of the abcess. However regardless, I would still suggest an evaluation. I hope this information was helpful.
 RaquelFriday - Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:41 pm

i have a lump on the right side of my vagina, close to the innermost part of my right thigh. it feels like a tiny marble inside of me. i ride horses and it used to be bigger and i thought it was a knot like the kind you can get in your back so i rubbed it and the next day it was much smaller. however there is still a tiny bump there and rubbing it does not help anymore. it does not hurt at all but im worried, what could it be?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:14 am

User avatar Hi RaquelFriday,
Have you had any genital infection? Lymph nodes are also located in this area. They don't typically reduce in size that quickly or from massaging an area. If you have not had a recent infection etc. Since it ha reduced in size I would attribute it to a benign cause and most likely not worry. However, upon your next appointment you may want to bring it to the attention of your physician.
 meeshava2 - Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:10 pm

I have a small lump, about the size of a pea right at the top of my inner right thigh. It is under the skin of my labia. It has been there for over a month, it hurt for about 3 days then stopped, and i stopped thinking about it. I felt it again for the first time today and the skin on top of it is red and irritated. I have had my period twice since I found the lump with no problems. My boyfriend and I (we are our first sexual partners) have had sex before, but not for a while and I'm not sure what could have made the lump come back or made it hurt again? It doesn't hurt all the time, just to medium pressure. Any ideas as to what this could be?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us