Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Lower Abdominal Pain

Heather199 - Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:11 pm

Hey, I wasn't sure where to put my problem in. On friday after supper my stomach was really upset and i had diarrhea twice that night. Then saturday i didn't eat anything till about 3pm because my stomach was paining in the lower left abdomen. More like a dull ache. Then i had supper and felt like i really had to go to the washroom, but nothing came out. Then on sunday the pain was on the right side and i ate lunch and dinner. The pain went away after i ate lunch but came back as soon as i was finished supper. But still no bowel movement. Today i ate breakfast and felt soso just really tired. After lunch i had to go to the bathroom and my bowel movement was just liquid. I am very fatigued and my stomach has a dull ache and in the spots where it sometimes hurts it's like a build up of air or something like that and it's tender to touch. I have no blood in my stool or urine and have bowel sounds in all 4 quadrants.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:43 pm

User avatar Dear Heather199,

Acute abdominal pain and the diarrhea are commonly seen in GASTROENTERITIS, or the stomach flu.The tenderness over the abdomen you have described is suggestive of enteritis (colitis). In this case you need to do stool analysis and complete blood picture CBC. Food poisoning is another possibility although remote, however in this case e vomiting is usually associated with the diarrhea. If the pain starts in the middle of the abdomen (para-umblical) then localize to the lower right part of the abdomen, appendicitis is to be considered. Diverticulitis can cause same symptoms but the pain is felt on the left side of the lower abdomen. If the condition is related to certain type of food, then a possibility of food allergy or intolerance is there. Make sure that you compensate what you are loosing with enough fluid intake otherwise you will feel so weak. You have to take an appointment with your doctor, for complete physical examination and investigations.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us