Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Ovarian Cyst with Septations

Mado - Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:26 pm

Eight years ago I had a 10cm benign serous cystadenoma on my left ovary. The doctor removed it as well as my left ovary and tube. I had one child prior to the cyst and three more after with one ovary. I am now 39 years old and have been feeling pain (more than normal) during ovulation and some light bleeding between periods, mainly after intercourse. It has been 2 years since my last pap as my OB-GYN retired and I haven't found another doctor yet. I had my cousin who is an experienced radiologist take a look to see if I had a cyst. She did an ultrasound and said I do indeed have one. It is almost 5cm and she said I should see a doctor asap as it has septations. I guess my question is does having a cyst with septations make it a greater risk for ovarian cancer? Will I have to have it surgically removed or could I "watch and wait" to see if it shrinks or goes away. Thank you for any advice/information you can give me.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:51 am

User avatar Hello,
This is not the type of cyst you should watch and wait with. It's best to be safe just in case it should be malignant. I am surprised you have not complained of pain with this because that is quite common. Please find a doctor you can trust and follow up with.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us