Question: Birth Control Exam for a virgin

zirkally - Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:35 am

Hello, I am 21 yrs old and am getting married in July. I need to set up an appointment with my doctor to start birth control pills. I am extremely nervous about having a pelvic exam and would much prefer to not have to do it as I am a virgin and would like to be married first before having an exam. Is a pelvic exam mandatory for getting birth control???
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:54 pm

A pelvic exam is recommended but not required. It is up to the provider and many are OK with just doing a routine health exam, including blood pressure and history which may effect birth control use and safety, especially for smokers or those with a history of blood clotting disorders. In the absence of contraindications or medical problems, you would be in a low risk category for the cancer we are looking for with a pelvic exam. The American Cancer Society does recommend a pelvic exam for all women by the time they are 21 but this is a recommendation; not a requirement.

You should ask around and if you are opposed to the pelvic exam, and are not sexually active, you can bypass the exam - just let the provider know your concerns and desires. If you aren't happy with the response, shop around.