Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Birth Control Exam for a virgin

zirkally - Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:35 am

Hello, I am 21 yrs old and am getting married in July. I need to set up an appointment with my doctor to start birth control pills. I am extremely nervous about having a pelvic exam and would much prefer to not have to do it as I am a virgin and would like to be married first before having an exam. Is a pelvic exam mandatory for getting birth control???
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:54 pm

User avatar Hello,
A pelvic exam is recommended but not required. It is up to the provider and many are OK with just doing a routine health exam, including blood pressure and history which may effect birth control use and safety, especially for smokers or those with a history of blood clotting disorders. In the absence of contraindications or medical problems, you would be in a low risk category for the cancer we are looking for with a pelvic exam. The American Cancer Society does recommend a pelvic exam for all women by the time they are 21 but this is a recommendation; not a requirement.

You should ask around and if you are opposed to the pelvic exam, and are not sexually active, you can bypass the exam - just let the provider know your concerns and desires. If you aren't happy with the response, shop around.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us