Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Vaginal odor in 9 year old with Prader Willi Syndrome

ANGELS7 - Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:52 pm

My 9 yr old daughter has Prader Willi Sydrome. Her hygiene skills are not the best, and wince I am not with her all day, I can not assist in wiping and toileting issues. She has strong, foul odor and due to her age, even under reccomendation from Dr. Tim Krous her pediatrician, I can not find a gynocologist to see her. Is there any OTC meds that will help? Douching is not an option, due to age I am sure. I have tried medicated personal wipes, sprays...What do you suggest to help with this issue, should I be concerned about internal issues due to poor hygiene?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:53 pm

User avatar Hello,
I think you need to be sure she is bathing daily but douching and other products should not be necessary. Odor is usually due to infection - yeast or bacteria - so it should be checked by a doctor. A family physician should be fine for this; no need for a gynecologist. Unless there is underlying infection, the hygiene issue is more aesthetic than a health concern. Cleanliness does help prevent disease and girls can be more prone to urinary tract infections so you don't want excessive bacteria that could travel up the urethra. I would concentrate on teaching skills for daily living but still make sure there is no infection involved.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us