Question: heating pad and early pregnancy

anja - Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:32 pm

I used a heating pad (to treat a urinary tract infection ) on my lower abdomen off and on for a few weeks straight in early pregnancy. Could this have the same harmful effects of using a hot tub?

I am at 7 weeks now. I felt fatigued until a couple days ago and now I feel like I have had a lot of caffeine all the time - but I haven't. Is this a bad sign?
 Rhonda P, CEP - Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:35 am

User avatar Hello Anja,

I apologize for the delay in responding to you. Congratulations on your pregnancy, I hope all goes well for you. During pregnancy your body goes through all kinds of changes that are new feeling. You may feel tired, nausea/vomiting, the need to urinate often, constipation, dizziness, hemorrhoids, varicose veins, stretch marks, full breasts, darkening areolas, hair line up your belly, leg cramps, nasal stuffiness, bleeding gums, nosebleeds, I’ll stop there… not everyone experiences these, some people go right through the entire nine months barely breaking a stitch in their size 4 pants!! But for the rest of us there’s maternity stores!

A bad sign may be one of the following and you should ask your doctor about these or any other symptoms that may bother you: vaginal bleeding, fainting, headaches, high blood pressure, swelling in your arms and legs, seeing spots, seizures, inability to keep water down, diarrhea for more than 48 hours, feeling like you’re urinating when you aren’t, difficulty urinating. There are more that your Physician will tell you about as you progress in your pregnancy, don’t be afraid to ask.

As far as a heating pad or hot tub is concerned, the amniotic fluid heats up with high external heat. The baby can’t control its water temperature so as you set in the 104 degree spa waters, it floats in the 104 degree amniotic fluid. Talk to your doctor about the heating pad, I think it may be alright as long as there’s a towel between you and the pad and you give it a break every 10 minutes or so but TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR.