Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Calcified Ovaries

 fightingtree - Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:43 pm

I'm 28 years old and have been having some strange symptoms for about 2 1/2 years now - abnormal bleeding, bowel problems, nausea, dizziness, pain during sex, lower back and leg pain, upset stomach and lower left Quadrant abdominal pain.

After getting a string of terrible doctors, I've finally found a good one. She thinks it's endometriosis and sent me in for an ultrasound (my third in 2 years). Usually the ultrasound finds that everything is normal - just a little free fluid in the vaginal canal. This time the technician said she saw several spots of calcification on my ovaries. She said it was nothing to worry about but my research is leading me to believe that's not necessarily true.

I know docs used to think calcifications were early signs of ovarian cancer. Should I follow up with my gyno?

 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:25 am

User avatar Hello,
I assume you would discuss the findings of the ultrasound with the physician who requested the test. These things are tools as part of the overall picture of health or disease and need to be considered in light of physical exam, history and other findings. There is research indicating that large calcifications in otherwise normal ovaries typically remain stable on follow-up imaging and are not an indicator of current or future ovarian cancer.

So, I suspect your doctor will do a follow-up scan to monitor for changes, but most likely this is nothing to worry about as 1% of calcium in the body deposits itself in organs other than the usual location of bones and teeth. It can form a hardened area but is not necessarily a problem. Follow your doctor's recommendation for follow-up testing.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us