Question: Am I having symptoms?

tlpearson - Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:08 am

I am certainly no doctor, but over the last month, I have felt like I might be pregnant. I would like to provide a list of symptoms here and just ask if it sounds like I should test. My fiance and I have been having unprotected sex for just over a year or around a year, and I am 23 years old. My period has been slightly irregular all my life, and missing it isn't as normal as it switching days on me, however, for about the last year or so, my period has taken place on about the 7th every month. In January of this year, I had my period on the 7th. Then in February, I didnt have my period on the 7th, and instead bleed for about 3 days from the 23rd to the 26th. This month, my period didnt come on the 7th or the 23rd, and I was wondering if the bleeding on the 23rd last month was my period changing schedules again or if it could have been implantation bleeding. I have been having mild cramps, not as heavy or frequent as when I am starting in the last week, but every time I go to check to see if I've started, I havent. I am hypoglycemic and my appetite is usually quite low and in the last week or maybe week and a half, my appetite has improved a great deal. While getting undressed to shower the other night, my fiance told me my breasts were larger, which I wouldnt notice really, but they have been very tender. About two weeks ago I was really run down and tired which seems to be improving slightly, but I still have a horrible time getting out of bed. I cant get comfortable in the positions I've been sleeping in all my life, and have to sleep on my back. I've also had an outbreak on my face like I havent had since high school. Is there a possibility I'm pregnant? I really don't want to take another test just to see another negative sign, and would really just like to hear from someone else that at this point taking the test would be justified. I took a test last month when my flow changed and it was negative.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:08 pm

Amenorrhoea (absence of menstruation) in any sexually active female who is not practising contraception is usually suggestive of pregnancy unless proved otherwise. The mainstay of a diagnosis for pregnancy is a positive pregnancy test, therefore it is justified to have a blood or urine pregnancy test done.

Do not be disappointed if the test result is negative again but it is an indication to subject yourself to hormonal tests for menstrual irregularity.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 Meggie2005 - Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:53 am

Recently I have been gaining alot of weight and my tummy is starting to look like I am pregnant. I noticed tonight that I was leaking from my breasts. I am spotting but it's not red it like a brownish color and sometimes pinkish. My boobs have even gotten bigger and i have stretch marks on the side of them. I am sleeping a lot and I have been very moody and not wanting to do anything. Could I be pregnant or depressed. I know that I am not ready to have a baby and I am very scared. :cry:
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:09 am

Have you missed your menstrual periods? Have you been sexually active without practising any mode of contraception? If your answers are in the affirmative, you should seek to determine your pregnancy status. Although some of the symptoms you are experiencing are suggestive of pregnancy, the mainstay of diagnosis is a positive pregnancy test.

I note from your profile a history of anxiety, which may now be associated with depression due to current unemployment status and the possibility of an unwanted pregnancy.

Please consult your primary care physician so that the cause of your symptoms may be determined and treated, if you are not pregnant.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM