Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Abnormal heavy periods while on birth control

jaye408 - Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:13 am

So about the middle of last month I missed a pill, and Usually my periold would come the next day but it didn't for about 20 days later my period came back last sunday but since then I have been having very heavy periods and having to change my pad every 3 hours or so and so far it has been 8 days that my period have been heavy. I have been on Microgestin 4 years ago I have not have a regular period since. But I have never had this long of a period before. Is this abnormal or what is wrong?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:02 pm

User avatar Hello,
We usually consider excessive bleeding to be soaking a pad or tampon every hour for a few days. Anything short of that falls in the range of "normal" so I would not worry unless it just doesn't stop. Then you may need to see your doctor to decide if a change of prescription is in order. I would discuss it with your provider in either case.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us