Question: Abnormal heavy periods while on birth control

jaye408 - Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:13 am

So about the middle of last month I missed a pill, and Usually my periold would come the next day but it didn't for about 20 days later my period came back last sunday but since then I have been having very heavy periods and having to change my pad every 3 hours or so and so far it has been 8 days that my period have been heavy. I have been on Microgestin 4 years ago I have not have a regular period since. But I have never had this long of a period before. Is this abnormal or what is wrong?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:02 pm

We usually consider excessive bleeding to be soaking a pad or tampon every hour for a few days. Anything short of that falls in the range of "normal" so I would not worry unless it just doesn't stop. Then you may need to see your doctor to decide if a change of prescription is in order. I would discuss it with your provider in either case.