Question: tampons for vaginal sweat

tnorton1988 - Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:11 pm

I frequently use tampons when i am not on my period because i sweat. I leave them in for a good portion of the day and when removed they come out easily, i do not feel the "tearing" described on other websites warning not to use tampons when not on your period. Is this dangerous? is there a high risk for TSS even though i am not using it when dry?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:06 pm

I would not expect any problem from this as long as you use good hygiene, clean hands, keep the tampons clean and dry before use and don't forget and leave them in longer than the day. If this works for you, it should not be a problem as long as it isn't drying out the natural lubrication of the vagina resulting in the problems associated with that. The reason it is advised to not use when not needed is to help reduce the slight risk of TSS, limiting it to just when needed is bound to cut your odds further. But it is actually quite a rare problem anyway and if this helps when you exercise or something, it is probably OK. I would not recommend doing it constantly though.