Question: Brown discharge one week before period, happening for months

hazelcat - Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:16 am

I have not been taking microgynon for a year now and a few months after stopping my discharge changed from the usual white colour to brown which I know is blood.
I have been off the pill before for months at a time and this has never happened.
Now what is normal for me is PMT starts around the same time as brown discharge and lasts about 4/5 days. The nothing for a few days followed by a heavy, fresh flow and stomach cramps. The symptoms are all normal for me but the brown discharge isn't.
In addition to this its not uncommon for me to bleed after penetration but it doesn't always happen. It is not painful at all and I have not had unprotected sex. I am 30 and I am more concerned that this might be indicative of my future fertility or if its normal and its just a change.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:05 pm

These are not alarming symptoms that would affect your health or fertility. Brown blood following a period is most likely just some "old" blood that was not completely removed with your period and this is your body's cleansing process.

If you have not had a pelvic exam/pap test as part of your routine care, you should do that if the bleeding continues with intercourse. Some infections can cause bleeding.