Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Unusual bleeding

enaid7649 - Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:25 am

This is strange, any help would be appreciated until I can get to see my dr.

About 3 times this has happened. Tonight, I had to have a bowel movement, and I noticed bleeding. It was NOT however from that location. I am very certain. It was vaginal, and not from urination, 99% positive. It isn't a trace of blood, it was a fairly decent amount. It usually goes away right afterwards. Afterwards this time I did have a small amount of the dried remains that I would normally have after a period, with a slight clot. (hope I don't gross you all out)

This has only happened after having a B.M. and is not from there.

Any ideas? Is it possible that since I'm going to start my period soon that the straining caused some to come out or is this more serious? I can't say that this used to be the norm before starting my period though.

I know to see my dr and have this checked but until then I am concerned. I have had some abdominal discomfort, but also have IBS. Lately it seems my urination seems to be needed quicker and a little more frequent, but as I said it doesn't not seem to come from there.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:56 am

User avatar Hello,

You need to be evaluated by your doctor as soon as possible, if your symptoms still continue.

Evaluating abnormal uterine bleeding in the reproductive years requires the exclusion of pregnancy or pregnancy-related disorders, medications known to cause abnormal uterine bleeding, iatrogenic causes, obvious genital tract pathology, and systemic conditions.[1] Once all these causes are excluded it can be presumed that you have dysfunctional uterine bleeding.

References:
==========
1. Brenner PF. Differential diagnosis of abnormal uterine bleeding. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1996;175(3 Pt 2):766-9.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us