Question: Amitriptyline during pregnancy

bowskie - Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:48 am

How great a risk is there of complications with our babies development due to the medication Amitriptyline?

It was prescribed by our doctor for kidney stones (to control the number of times at night when my wife felt she needed to urinate) before we were aware of the pregnancy. It is likely that is was taken for the first 2-3 weeks of pregnancy.

I am worried that this might cause deformities in the baby, as I have read that some women who were pregnant and took it had this problem.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:36 am

At that early point in development it is very unlikely the medication would cause any increased risk of birth defects. It is sometimes used when benefit outweighs the potential risks. Animal studies have linked this drug with birth defects and though animal studies are not good indicators of human response, we do recommend caution with this drug and pregnancy so discontinuing it is the safest course unless your doctor determines it is the best treatment for you.