Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: neonate asphyxia

robinbrighton - Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:06 pm

Could anyone tell me (or point me to studies that can indicate) the likely impact (particularly later in life) of 2 minute neonate asphyxia?

In case you have the time for a summary of the background: the baby was born vaginally (thick meconium in waters) at 40 weeks + 12 days to a mother on a Syntocinon drip; the cord was clamped and cut within several seconds of birth; the baby was placed on mother's chest but did not spontaneously breath; baby had an APGAR of 3/10 at 1 minute; was removed for endotracheal suction and O2 bag resus; first gasp was 2 mins post clamping; APGAR was 10/10 at 5 minutes. Feel free to ask for any other info if that could help you to answer.

Many thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:10 pm

User avatar Hello,
The apgar scores you report here are excellent for successful resuscitation. The biggest risk for a newborn without spontaneous breathing at delivery is shown by the 5 minute apgar score. If it were still low, the prognosis is not as good, but a rapid recovery such as this has a very good outcome expectation. In absence of other complicating factors, I would anticipate a normal newborn. Of course it always makes sense to watch the baby closely for any recurrent breathing difficulties, grunting, etc. in case there was some lung immaturity. But, I would expect no serious concerns based on this information alone.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us