Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Oral Contraceptive Nightmare!

GardenStateStuff - Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:00 pm

When I was 17 (am 21 now) I went to a gynecologist because of very irregular and heavy periods, accompanied by severe cramps. The gyno decided to put me on Ortho-Cyclen. Ortho-Cyclen immediately helped, and I stayed on it for about 2 ½ years. I went off the pills when I started college. And as soon as I went off them, my heavy irregular periods were back. I decided to see a new gynecologist near my college when I turned 20, who decided to conduct a sonogram and vagina ultrasound. He concluded that I had many many cysts on my ovaries, and that was why my periods had always been so off. He decided to put me on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. This did NOT work well with my body at all. I was on it for 6 months, and had a 2 normal menstrual periods and tons of between-cycle spotting and cramping. He had also given me Naproxen (Anaprox didn't work) for cramps. The gyno then decided to put me on Estrostep Fe. This birth control pill didn’t work at all either. In 6 months I one VERY light menstrual period, and the “usual” spotting. So, now today I went to a NEW gynecologist which is near my house. He decided to put me BACK on Ortho-Cyclen, since that was what worked in the past when I was younger. So, right now I am half-way through my last pack of Estrostep Fe. I will finish this pack, but then when do I begin my Ortho-Cyclen. I will be finished with this pack in 16 days. I will NOT get a period when I am done with the active pills, as I have not gotten more than 1 period on this pill. Should I wait until the Sunday after my next normal period to start the Cyclen? Or should I just start taking the Ortho-Cyclen immediately after, and not wait for a period? Thank you in advance!!!!
 GardenStateStuff - Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:00 pm

No one has any opinion for me :cry:

I understand we're not all doctors...I am only looking for someone's advice/opinion. I won't hold ya to it...

So does anyone have any idea on what I should do? Thank you! :P

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us