Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Strong Pain In Right Side

Armywife12 - Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:27 am

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I am very excited to find it. The problem that I am having is severe right side pain. I have had pain in that area for 10 years now and have had several surgeries to attempt to correct the problem. Last June, 2004, I had my right ovary removed due to a tumor that had developed inside of it. The pain is still there, but in a different area. It feels as if something is playing tug of war with my side. There is a burning pain associated with it. I have not had a period in 3 months, but I have taken 2 pregnancy tests and both came back negative. I seem to notice the pain more when I am at rest rather than when I'm walking around. At time it becomes slightly stabbing, while at other times it just feels like something is burning. Any ideas? I have tried to get a gyno. appointment here, but I live on an Army base in Germany and the gynocologists are only seeing active duty patience at this time which I find very stupid. The regular doctor I see, who is a man, dismissed the pain as "just being a woman" pain. uuugggg!!
 hollyndays - Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:42 pm

Hi Armywife12!

Wow, that has got to be frustrating. No medical professional should just dismiss your pain and symptoms as "just being a woman." Sounds archaic to me, but then I am a middle-aged woman myself and have had my share of ignored symptoms :? .

Now, there are a few things I'd like to know to better try and help you:
1) your age?
2) have you had pregnancies?
3) endometriosis?
4) what other abdominal surgeries besides the right oophorectomy have you had?
5) any history of bowel problems? (diverticulitis, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, etc.)?
6) did the surgery you had eliminate the pain you had, allowing you any time where you were not suffering, before this current pain began? Or are you saying that the quality of the pain changed, but never went away completely.
7) can you relate the pain to your menstrual cycles at all, or is it mostly continuous or irrespective of periods you do have?
8) taking birth-control pills? (that's supposed to be #8, but it keeps coming up as a smiley)
9) anything relieve the pain (like changing positions, different foods, etc.)

Because of how you have described your pain ("burning"--which could be stretching perhaps?-- and "tug of war") and the fact that you've had surgeries, I'd want to rule out or confirm the possibility of adhesions (internal scar tissue following injury, surgery, inflammation). I have had many patients with adhesions. Check out this site and see if you can relate to information given there:
http://www.adhesions.org/

I will watch for your reply, and I hope you find relief soon!

Sincerely yours,

Holly, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us