Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Abnormal Pap Smear

 deluvly-85 - Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:17 pm

I am 25 years old with two young boys ages 4 and 11 months. When I first had a pap smear done when I was 18 it was abnormal but the doctors did nothing further so I felt everything was ok. When I was pregnant with my oldest son I had a pap smear sone and that also was abnormal, which lead to me getting a biopsy done and the doctor stated that once I had my son that further discussion on what needed to be done would be said then. Unfortunatley i didn't ever recieve the results or the conversation from the biopsy from fear and moving out of state. Now I am experiencing abdominal pain, really bad lower back pain, and my discharge is changing. It ranges from thick and yellowish white to a gelatin consistency and slimy but has no odor. I am in great fear of what could be going on with me and I am taking extreme measures to get health insurance so I can plan a doc. appt. but I would seriously like an input or information on what I am experiencing.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:23 pm

User avatar Hello,
You should get an exam and perhaps you could contact a family planning clinic for this or something that offers a sliding fee schedule for the uninsured. Contact your local health department for suggestions.

Abnormal pap smears usually just alert us to further follow up and you generally have time to deal with this. The varied discharge may be perfectly within the normal limits so don't worry needlessly. I know it is frustrating when you need care to have to find resources but you should follow up.

The pain may be completely unrelated but I understand your worry. Seeing a doctor is your best course of action now.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us