Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Can I Shift period cycle on progesterone only BCP?

vmartz - Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:06 pm

I am 39, and was taken off birth control pills (my partner has a vasectomy) when I had a DVT in Nov 2003. I am getting married in August, and based upon my current 29 day cycle, my period will be falling during my honeymoon.

My Dr. perscribed a progesterone only birth control pill (Ovrette) for me when I asked if I could take something to try to shift my cycle so it does not fall during this time.

Will a progesterone only BCP have any effect on when my cycle occurs? I've read it can cause a lighter period, and sometimes stop it, and also cause break through bleeding but you take it for the full 28 days, so there isn't a week time frame when you can just start the next round of pills. I am planning on starting the pills now, in hopes that taking it 5 months before I can move when my period comes (and going off them before August so the break through bleeding won't be a factor). Do you think this will work, and if so, at what point from my last period should I start the pills to have the best chance of this working?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:16 am

User avatar Hi vmartz,
The recommended day to start progesterone only birth control pills is the first day of your period. Each woman is different, some may have normal periods, others may have irregular periods, spotting or no cycle at all so it would be very difficult to say whether your plan will work based on you having no priorexperience with this particular medication. I do know that if you are taking progesterone and estrogen birth control pills that you can shift your cycle by not taking the 7 days of nonessential pills and just continuing into a new pack (not recommended to do more than once). Now my concern for you is being prescribed birth control pills at all considering your medical history. This I would strongly question.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us