Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Birt Defects from Prior Anabolic Steroid Use in Women

mick-g - Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:41 pm

I have a female friend that used to be a bodybuilder and used Anabolic Steroids. We are having a disagreement. She says past use will not cause birth defects, while i say it will. Please help. If you can use proof, articles, and terminology/medical facts to back it up, because she is very knowledgable and will argue the point. Maybe iam wrong cause i can't find anything on the subject. Thanks!
 mick-g - Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:01 am

Common, i can't believe no one has an answer to this question?
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:52 pm

User avatar Hello Mick-g,

I can't answer your question, sorry. Anabolic steroids are synthetic versions of the male hormone testosterone. This helps form lean body mass, muscles and masculine sexual characteristics. Other than manly type things developing, according to the journal of the National Cancer Institute (April 17, 2002), a woman can be twice as likely to develop tumors and malignant breast cancer, ovarian cancer and polycystic ovaries which can lead to difficulty conceiving. As far as causing birth defects, I can’t find any documented proof but I am not an Obstetrician. I wanted to answer your question with as much info as I could, maybe someone else can add to this.

Unlike men, the lifestyle of the woman’s MOTHER has gone into her ovaries & eggs. When a baby girl is born, she has every single egg she will ever produce in her ovaries. This means, whatever her Mother did while she was pregnant has gone into her daughters newly forming ovaries and immature eggs, a few may someday become her grandchildren. So, the little girl is born, she becomes a young woman and her ovaries start to produce mature eggs. Whatever SHE has done will affect her maturing eggs through-out her life. Only time and pregnancy will tell what has truly happened. When your friend gets to the point of wanting to conceive a child she may want to talk to a Genetic Counselor about possible birth defects to make sure.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us