Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Chronic vaginal irritation that is making me suffer.

 Les Miserable - Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:47 pm

So here's the deal. It all started one morning about four months ago. I woke up and I felt just fine. I went to the bathroom and I was just fine. But when I left the bathroom and started down the hallway, I suddenly felt this horrible vaginal burning! I thought it might be a bad reaction to my new laundry detergent so I stopped using it, but that didn't help. I thought it might be a yeast infection so I went to the store and got some Monistat. It didn't work. A few days after I was done with the Monistat, the burning went away. And I'd be just fine until I washed down there and then I'd be sore for a few hours. Other than that, I'd have this occasional itching. After a while, I couldn't take it anymore and I decided to go to the doctor. That same day, before I went to the doctor, I noticed this thin, kinda watery, kinda white vaginal discharge. So I went to the doctor and I had a fever. Then she did the exam and said I had a really bad infection. They took a swab and sent it to the lab. It's a month later and I still haven't received my results, but when I was at the doctor she said it looks as if it might be chlamydia or gonorrhea.

Which completely confuses me because I am NOT sexually active. It hasn't happened yet and I don't plan on it happening for a while yet. But she said MIGHT and I don't see any logical way that it could be either of those anyway. They gave me a single pill while I was there and a shot and sent me on my way with a prescription of Diflucan to take over the course of three days. A month later and I haven't seen any improvements from that medicine. If anything, I think I've gotten a little worse since going to the doctor since I'm constantly sore now. I think she was wrong. How could I have a STD when I haven't had sexual contact of any kind? And it can't be a yeast infection, unless the Monistat and Diflucan just didn't help. So what is it? Please help me! I feel miserable. And I feel as if my life has been put on hold because of all the time I spend thinking about this (even though I don't have much of a life as it is) and I have a hard time focusing on anything else. So like I said, please help. I honestly don't know what to do. I got impatient of waiting for the results, so a call was made up to the doctor's office. However, all they said was that they would call me and they haven't! I'm at a loss here. What I want is a little insight here. Do you have any general ideas of what might be wrong with me or what my next move should be? I honestly can't afford to keep going to the doctor and the doctor seems to be giving me the runaround.

Here's what I have or have had: burning (not during urination, it was a constant burning that lasted throughout the day), itching (rarely), soreness (constant soreness since I went to the doctor. Especially when I wash down there, which I do only with warm water and no soap whatsoever.), fever, and discharge (rarely), and now I'm experiencing this stinging sensation.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:08 pm

User avatar Hello,
You are entitled to receive the results of your lab work. Call the doctor's office and insist on talking with the doctor about the diagnosis and treatment. It is their responsibility to be sure you understand what they have done and the treatment plan. If you do not get the help you need, I would seek a second opinion. You are correct that it is unlikely a sexually transmitted disease if you are not sexually active but there are bacterial infections you can get without. At any rate, waiting over a month for results or response is unacceptable. Perhaps you should speak with the clinic manager as well.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us