Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: "skin tags" in vaginal opening

sgodzisz - Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:44 pm

first question:
i have a few(3 max) extra pieces of skin that stick out around my vaginal opening. im not sure why or what they are exactly or how to get rid of them. the pieces of skin don't seem to have any feeling in them and ive had them for as long as i can recall so they don't seem to be anything to worry about....but they are quite unappealing. i have yet to go to a gynecologist or even my fam doc about this...but i plan on making an appt. in the mean time could someone tell me what they are and if its possible to have them removed.
second question:
somewhat related to the last question... recently the opening of my vagina has been slightly itchy, raw to the touch, red and there appear to be more of these bits of extra skin. im sexual active and i know it cannot be anything related to an std. is this some kind of infection? should i be worried?
any advice/help would be much appreciate. thanks
 Stephanie - Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:03 am

I too have skin tags there. I asked my Gyn doctor and she said they can be removed. Some times they get infected and hurt, but taking a bath and soaking helps with the pain. Look up skin tags in the net and you will find all you need to know. Good luck

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us