Question: extremely small breasts...will I be able to breastfeed?

courage - Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:30 pm

I don't even fit in an A cup even at my highest weight. When I become pregnent, I really want to breastfeed. I have always been embarrassed that I am too small though. Like I wouldn't want to breastfeed in public or even have my mom or sisters know that I was trying to because I am so small. I have the breasts of a 12 yr old. I barely even have nipples. Someone please answer my question. I don't care who you are. I just see so many complications in even trying. Like I would have to hold the baby clear up to my neck in order to feed it. I know my mind goes off in weird places, but these are things I worry about.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:43 am

User avatar Hi courage,
Breast size is relatively insignificant when it comes to breatfeeding. The amount of fatty tissue in the breast is what makes the different sizes in women. Milk ducts enlarge during pregnancy and this is what is significant in the ability to breast feed.