Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: RREGULAR CYCLES AND TRYING TO CONCEIVE

Melani - Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:15 am

I have always had perfectly regular periods all my life, with no period problems. I started menstruating when I was 12.

I went onto the pill in March 2003, and stopped in March 2004.
I had 1 period in April, then one in July and then nothing.

I was then diagnosed by my gynae with PCOS/anovulation
and a slightly underactive thyroid.

I took 1 weeks dose of Provera which brought on a period in January. From 3 Jan - 17 Feb, I was on a dose of Metformin, twice daily.

Since then I have had a period starting on 27 feb, and then on 6 April.

1. SInce I have had these periods, does it mean that I am now ovulating normally. Is this likely to stop again?

2. My thyroid levels have now returned to normal - how is this possible ?

3. How come I am having these complications only now, and have never had period problems before. I just thought that because my periods were always regular, I would never have problems falling pregnant.

Pse help
 hypochondriac2184 - Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:39 pm

I started my period when I was 10 years old and had fairly regular ones til june of 2004. All of a sudden I didn't have any kind of bleeding from june through december of 2004. Gyn say he could find absolutely nothing wrong with me except a "hormonal imbalance". He gave me Provera, which gave me a period and they have been erratic, but there. It is possible to ovulate without having a period and my gyn said that if I am having a period or any bleeding, I am still able to ovulate. Since I am TTC, I stopped taking the Provera and ordered a non prescription herbal fertility suppliment that regulates the reproductive system and lengthens ovulation. I have been taking it for 1 week and since I am charting my fertility, I know I am about to ovulate. So, yes, if you are having bleeding, you are still able to ovulate. Feel free to e-mail me at flowerchildofthecorn@yahoo.com
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:52 pm

User avatar Hello Melani,

Keep in close contact with your Gynecologist, you can gain a lot from their knowledge. A lot of woman can be normal and than develop irregular cycles. You have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which caused irregular periods and hormone imbalance along with anovulation as time goes on. When you do ovulate your body will make eggs that are mature and ready for ovulation about 12-16 days after your menstruation cycle would normally occur. This egg is only available for fertilization for about 24 hours BUT a sperm can live inside the woman’s body for 3-5 days. So, if you have intercourse every 5 days you have live sperm inside you almost all the time. Some women can go months without having a period, some have periods very irregularly, and the period doesn’t necessarily determine the ovulation time and a period doesn’t mean you ovulated. PCOS can cause you to not ovulate regularly, the pill helped regulate your monthly flow. The Metformin was given to you probably for high blood sugar, that is the usual reason for this but a Physician can use it for different reasons, you should ask what the reason for taking it is.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us