Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: vaginal discharge -- cottage cheese consistency

vitalsigns - Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:39 am

So, I'm seventeen and lately, I've been noticing my discharge has a sort of cottage cheese consistency. White and lumpy, odorless.. Of course, I've browsed around the web and I've read the symptoms for yeast infections. I do get the occasional itch, sometimes on the vulva, but usually on the manis pubis. But maybe that's because I shave? But there's no swelling or pain and intercouse isn't painful. As far as I know, I've never had a yeast infection. And I have yet to get any sort of medication for it, or talk to a doctor. Do I have a yeast infection? Should I schedule an appointment with my doctor?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:01 pm

User avatar Hello,
Not everyone has all the symptoms of infection. Since the discharge is a bit different it still could be yeast even in absence of itching or odor. If you want to be certain of the diagnosis you should see a doctor. But, if you want you could treat it with over-the-counter antifungal cream or suppository tablets. If it is yeast it should clear up; if not you would need to see the doctor anyway.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us