Question: vaginal discharge -- cottage cheese consistency

vitalsigns - Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:39 am

So, I'm seventeen and lately, I've been noticing my discharge has a sort of cottage cheese consistency. White and lumpy, odorless.. Of course, I've browsed around the web and I've read the symptoms for yeast infections. I do get the occasional itch, sometimes on the vulva, but usually on the manis pubis. But maybe that's because I shave? But there's no swelling or pain and intercouse isn't painful. As far as I know, I've never had a yeast infection. And I have yet to get any sort of medication for it, or talk to a doctor. Do I have a yeast infection? Should I schedule an appointment with my doctor?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Not everyone has all the symptoms of infection. Since the discharge is a bit different it still could be yeast even in absence of itching or odor. If you want to be certain of the diagnosis you should see a doctor. But, if you want you could treat it with over-the-counter antifungal cream or suppository tablets. If it is yeast it should clear up; if not you would need to see the doctor anyway.