Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: birth control and sex without a condom

athena - Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:46 pm

I am currently on birth control and I try my best to take it at the same time everyday but I am sometimes off by a few hours. My boyfriend and I recently had sex without a condom. Should I be worried about pregnancy? If avoidable I would like to keep this info private from my parents. I am of legal age.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:32 pm

User avatar Hello,
Birth control pills are a very reliable method of contraception, usually requiring no additional method. A few hours' variation should not affect this. If you are on a "mini" (progestin only) pill it is more important that you be as consistent as possible but a little fluctuation within the day should not put you at risk.

Condoms are recommended if you are at risk for sexually transmitted infection, however.

Best wishes.
 tinky - Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:53 pm

I have been on birth control for over a year. This past month I had breakthrew bleeding for almost a day. I took a home pregnancy test and it was negative. I have nr missed a period of had brerakthrew bleeding since starting the pill. I have not gotten my period yet and it was due on sunday. I don't know what to do.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us