Question: Fibroid and/or thickening of uterine wall

allforhim - Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:39 pm

I'm looking for some ideas and/or thoughts to put my mind at ease. It will be about a week before I can actually see my own doctor and ask my questions, but I am a little freaked out here, and could use some help.

I am scheduled for a hymenectomy in just a few weeks due to an imperforate hymen. My doctor sent me for an ultrasound...now that was a story in itself, but I just got a phone call with the results of that ultrasound and instead of feeling a little better about my whole situation, I am once again a little freaked out. Granted, part of this is simply due to the small amount of information I have on this, so that is why I am here again.

The doctor said that she found either a small fibroid or thickening of the uterine wall through my ultrasound. The initial Google search that I did, didn't help me any. Is there anyone who could explain what this means? What do either or both of these diagnoses mean? How are either or both of these normally treated? Does this mean that there is great potential I iwill not have children? Does this mean that if I do, in fact, have children it will be painful and only by c-section?

Maybe I am overly paranoid, but I could use some information. Anyone?
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:12 pm

Dear allforhim,

well, a fibroid is a small proliferation in the uterus muscle, it is totally benign. If you have fibroid...and it is small as they say....you can get pregnant and if you're going to deliver by C-section...they can remove it at the time of operation....it's no big deal.

If it's thickening in the endometrial wall, it depends at what time of your cycle did you have your Ultrasound done?! because as you know... normally ,the endometrium (the inside wall of the uterus)...gets ready every month to have a baby so it becomes thick...and when no fertilization is done ... it sheds down in the form of menstruation (the period).

I think you will need to repeat your ultrasound(U/S) anyway, because you can easily differentiate between fibroid and endometrial thickening with U/S, it's just a matter of when to repeat it.

don't worry ...Best regards:-)