Question: ketones and preeclampsia

andyroo - Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:50 pm

I am 25 weeks pregnant. I experienced preterm contractions this week and went to the ER. The doctor on call said I had ketones in my urine and to eat and drink more. That the contractions were caused by dehydration.

My question is, with my first pregnancy I had preeclampsia at 35 weeks. I am wondering if ketones can lead to preeclampsia? Is this condition indicitive of the onset of preeclampsia?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:07 pm

Ketones are detected when there is something going on metabolically such as not eating enough carbohydrates, being overly nauseated and/or being dehydrated. Pre-eclampsia is related to blood pressure so this is not an early indicator.

Your doctor is right that you need to drink lots of water to avoid dehydration in the future.