Question: Prenatal vitamins simply for hair growth is it safe?

Jazzi - Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:17 pm

I am taking Vitafol prenatal vitamins to increase my hair growth because over the past year my hair has become noticeably thin. I just started last night so i want to make sure it is safe before i continue. I am also wondering if you would recommend this to be something that actually works?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:00 pm

There are very few products that actually are effective in hair growth - most of them along the lines of rogaine (for male baldness), used once or twice daily. There are some other topical products available though the salons as well but taking a prenatal (or any multivitamin) does not hurt and may do good if it is a nutritional deficiency causing the problem. But, these are not miracle or even sure cures for hair loss. A good vitamin is always a good idea, especially for young women of childbearing years. There are some vitamin formulas - mostly B complex that claim they help with hair growth and health but again, improvement will vary and I know of no scientific studies showing a profound change. You might as well take the multivitamin and get the addition of the other vitamins as well. Either the B-complex and/or the multi/prenatal should be just fine as a supplement.