Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: changing period schedule

nstites - Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:48 pm

I have been using Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for a couple years now and when I try to skip my period by starting a new pack immediately after the old pack I spot for about a month. I was wondering if I could take the first two weeks of my pack so that I get my period a week early, after which I start a new pack.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:03 pm

User avatar Hello Nstites,

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo has four colored pills in it, each one has different levels of estrogen and progestin in it. When you don’t take the green tablets and go back to the beginning you confuse your body, it was preparing to have a menstrual flow when its hormones started saying it was "pregnant" again. This birth control pill isn’t designed to skip the placebo row like some of the “stronger” pills are.

Please talk to your Gynecologist about the problems you’ve had and maybe get a pregnancy test just to make sure everything is alright. Other than that, use protection until you know for sure.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us