Question: bleeding

sally1109 - Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:51 pm

I have a very serious question regarding my birth control, and I have no trusted source to ask other than you.I did not want to have my period over Spring Break, which is when my inactive pills were scheduled to start. So, I decided to skip my inactive pills and instead started a brand new pack on Sunday, when I was supposed to start my inactive pills as a 28-day Sunday starter. All was well until I started having bleeding on Thursday during my first week of active pills. I kept on taking the active pills, but was under 12 hours late taking my pill two days in a row during my second week of active pills; Wednesday and Thursday. I had unprotected sex on Tuesday night and Thursday night with my boyfriend, but was ontime taking my pill Friday morning, and was again late on Saturday. My bleeding progressed from starting Thursday to ending on the following Thursday. Yet today, Saturday, I am bleeding again. What's happening?! Is there a chance of pregnancy? I'm freaking out, and could really use some advice.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:45 pm

User avatar Hello Sally1109,

Most of the time it is fine to skip the placebos and take the active pills for three cycles and than allow your body to have a menstrual flow. Talk to your Physician about it before you do it again, it's usually okay for 63 pills. If your pills are 20 micrograms (mcg) of estrogen, you can be a little late taking the pill (hours, not days). Read the insert and find out the estrogen level.

The pill has estrogen and progestin in it, the hormones of pregnancy. As long as you take the “pill” your body thinks it’s pregnant and won’t ovulate, it doesn’t need to. When you go onto the placebo pill your body thinks it’s not pregnant and sheds the lining of your uterus, if you don’t go back onto the active pill again in 7 days, you will ovulate.

Please talk to your Gynecologist about the problems you’ve had and maybe get a pregnancy test just to make sure everything is alright. Other than that, use protection until you know for sure.