Question: worried friend

bethany272 - Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:10 pm

my best friend is 7 months pregnant with her second baby and she was just admitted to the hospital for coughing up blood and i guess she was told that the baby's lungs weren't fully developed yet and i was wondering what could possibly be wrong that would make her cough up blood, because to me that makes me think of internal bleeding somewhere. if you could can you give me some possibilities as to what can be wrong ? i'm really worried for her and i'm trying to be calm because i'm almost 6 months pregnant and i wanted to know if it's something i should worry about with my pregnancy because so far we both have gone to the ER for the same things thoughout our second pregnancy.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:28 pm

User avatar Hello bethany272,

Has her coughing causing her to have contractions or is your friend in danger of having her baby early for some other reason? You may not know this but the hospital does, they can give her injections of a corticosteroid to help develop the baby’s lungs if her body is threatening delivery. Has she been put on medications to stop contractions? Does she have anything contagious that you may have come in contact with? If you start having any signs of labor – water loss, contractions, mucous loss, blood, etc. contact your OB or the hospital right away.

Coughing up blood is a different story; there are a lot of serious causes for this. Bronchitis, pneumonia, respiratory or lung infection, smoking, tuberculosis, cancer, pulmonary embolism, to name a few. Sometimes you can cough and you may have a taste of blood but don’t actually see the blood, that is much different than coughing up blood where you see blood coming out of your mouth. Any time you have blood coming up when you cough or out of your mouth, in your spit, with bubbles or otherwise, it needs to be considered an emergency! Get medical attention right away, this can be very serious. Pregnant woman should always tell their Physicians about uncontrolled coughs, you can cause yourself to go into premature labor from the abdominal stress.