Question: Could I be pregnant?

kerry1h - Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:26 pm

Hi

I had my last period on 3-25, my cycle runs anywhere from 21 to 28 days, I had unprotected sex on 4-6, and have started having pregnancy symptoms, I know it is too early for accurate home pregnancy test. The last couple of days I have been experiencing increasing nausea, cramps, tingling in breasts, overly cranky and snappy. I have one child and this time I just feel pregnant. I sometimes get cramps and crankiness before and during my period but have never had nausea before.

Rhonda P, CEP - Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:36 am

User avatar Hello Kerry1h,

When you ovulate your body will make eggs that are mature and ready for ovulation about 12-16 days after your menstruation cycle has occur which was on March 25. This egg is only available for fertilization for about 24 hours BUT a sperm can live inside the woman’s body for 3-5 days. So, if you had intercourse on
April 6 – that was 12 days after your period. That counts out to be just about right for ovulation, plus those little guys live in there for 3-5 days so if you didn’t ovulate on the 12th day you possibly have 3-5 more day to conceive.

How do home pregnancy test work:
Home pregnancy urine tests measure hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) which is secreted by the fertilized egg when it implants into the lining of the uterus and starts forming its placenta. The fastest and most accurate test is a blood serum test; you can get them done by a Physician or Health Department. The hormone hCG will start getting into your bloodstream in about 1 week after fertilization and will double about every two days. The sensitivity levels will very depending upon the maker of the pregnancy test so the best time to test is about 1 week past the day the menstruation was expected. I know it’s hard to wait but the only 100% positive answer to the question “Am I pregnant” is time.

If you keep getting negative urine tests and still haven't started your cycle, go see your Physician and get checked right away. If your test comes up positive, go see your Physician or Midwife right away to start your prenatal care.