Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: pregnancy problems after hymenectomy

megjr1986 - Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:33 am

i had a hymenectomy in 2002 and i understand what it is and have researched extensively but i have not found any info on problems that occur after, i.e. problems becoming pregnant, or during pregnancy or delivery. my question was will i experience any problems with pregnancy? also my crevix is ponted up will that cause any problems, too?
 Rhonda P, CEP - Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:55 am

User avatar Hello Megjr1986,

Normally, just having a hymenectomy will not alter your chances of conceiving, carrying or delivering a child. Although the tipped uterus can possibly cause problems for you. Do you know if there is a cause for the uterus to be tipped such as endometriosis, tumors or fibroids? A tipped uterus means that the uterus is tipped back towards the back of your pelvic so your cervix is pointing up forward instead of straight down in the vaginal canal. This can cause pain during intercourse, painful menstruations, fertility problems, and rarely but possibly, pregnancy problems. Talk to your Physician about your concerns and find out if there are any exercises you can do to help reposition your uterus temporarily. The uterus will straighten up during pregnancy but will return to it's tilted position after you deliver in most cases.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us