Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Breakthrough Bleeding or Period?

yeah4me07 - Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:16 am

Hey everyone--I hope someone can help me with this. I haven't been able to find any information online.

I've been on Alesse (monophasic) for almost three years now. My cycle was always on the shorter side (25-26 days) and my period has slowly moved from being in the week with the sugar pills to coming in the middle of the third week of active pills. I've just kept on taking them like normal (starting the next pack when the previous one runs out).

I've never missed a pill by more than a few hours (sleeping in on weekends), but now I'm not sure whether this is normal. Are the pills still effective even though my period comes a bit earlier than usual?

I'd appreciate any insight! Thanks!!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:46 am

User avatar Hi yeah4me07,
In some women after taking birth control pills for a period of time, adjustments in dosage etc. may be needed, as it sounds in your case. I would suggest you call your physician, explain your altered cycles and an adjustment may be all that is required.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us