Question: don't Know whats wrong...

Jus Curious - Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:10 pm

Hey,
My last period was at the beginning of March around the 3rd and I'm still young so my cycle isn't really regular yet. However, i had unprotected sex on the 24 and three more times after that and i haven't came on yet. Now, my other problem is, when i go to the bathroom and wipe myself there is blood on the tissue. It's not like my period and i only see the blood on the tissue, and i wear a pad and there is blood on the pad but it doesn't flow out like my menstraul cycle. This didn't start happening until last sunday evening (April 17). The night before i had sex with someone and i told him that he was hurting me... could that be why im bleeding??? Today will be the 4th day. I guess what i want to ask is could i be pregnant and if the bleeding affecting just me or something else... And could i still get and abortion at this point...
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:06 am

User avatar Hello Jus Curious,

Your period doesn’t guarantee you will be ovulating in about two weeks, especially if you aren’t regular. You can go months without having a period and still ovulate regularly or you can not ovulate at all and still have periods. But for the regular woman, when you do ovulate your body will make eggs that are mature and ready for ovulation about 12-16 days after your menstruation cycle would normally occur. This egg is only available for fertilization for about 24 hours BUT a sperm can live inside the woman’s body for 3-5 days. So, if you have intercourse every 5 days you have live sperm inside you almost all the time which means eventually that sperm and egg will meet.

You could be having light menstrual bleeding or you could be having egg implantation bleeding. Do you want to become pregnant, is that why you aren’t using protection?

Home Pregnancy tests, how do they work?
Home pregnancy urine tests measure hormone called human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) which is secreted by the fertilized egg when it implants into the lining of the uterus and starts forming its placenta. The fastest and most accurate test is a blood serum test, you can get them done by a Physician or Health Department. The hormone hCG will start getting into your bloodstream in about 1 week after fertilization and will double about every two days. The sensitivity levels will very depending upon the maker of the pregnancy test so the best time to test is about 1 week past the day the menstruation was expected. I know it’s hard to wait but the only 100% positive answer to the question “Am I pregnant” is time.

If you keep getting negative urine tests and still haven't started your cycle, go see your Physician and get checked right away. If your test comes up positive, go see your Physician or Midwife right away to discuss your prenatal care or plans.