Question: Is it safe to use a tampon during miscarriage?

Marie Mc - Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:34 pm

I may be having a miscarriage and wasn't sure if using a tampon to control the bleeding was safe? Also if I am having a miscarriage is it urgent enough to go immediatley to the doctor?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:25 am

I would advise only using pads; not tampons. There is not much data to support this but there is the theoretical risk of an increased infection if the cervix is open more than usual during your regular period. Without documentation for risk I can't say it is unsafe but it is definitely safe to use pads so for this one time, I would avoid the tampons.

You do not necessarily need to see a doctor with a miscarriage but sometimes the miscarriage is incomplete and excessive bleeding could occur. In those cases a D & C may be needed and in that case you would not use tampons following the procedure due to increased infection risks.

Be alert to any excessive bleeding, signs of infection such as fever, chills, foul odor with discharge or intense pain. Infection is easily treated with antibiotics but you would need to see your doctor. The earlier you are in the pregnancy the more likely it is that your body will take care of things without intervention but if in doubt, see your doctor.