Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: pelvic back pain

thewalkers11 - Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:57 pm

Please help! I am 20weeks pregnant and experiencing SEVERE pelvic back pain in my right buttox. Whenever I go to get up from sitting, it catches and I feel paralyzed. I have never injured my back. I need to pack for myself and family for a vacation, but movement is limited and difficult. How can I alleviate this pain so I can move and bend up and down and walk through the airports? What are the best ways to bend over and pick things up, sit, stand, etc.? Also, when I tried to do hip/leg muscle exercises to help, I couldn't move for the next 5 to 6 hours because the pain worsened and was excruciating. What can I do?
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:19 am

User avatar Hello Thewalkers11,

You may be suffering from Sciatic-nerve pain which is located behind your uterus in the pelvic area. During the second and third trimester, your baby’s head may rest on the sciatic nerve in the lower part of the spinal canal or the weight of your heavy uterus may push on the nerve causing you to experience severe pain in your buttocks and shooting down your leg or legs as well. This pain can cause numbness and/or tingling that starts deep in your buttocks and radiates down the back of your legs. It can be so intense at times that it can incapacitate you with pain. The best thing to do is lie down on the opposite side of the pain, put warm pads on the pain area and let the nerve relax. If the pain gets more intense or hard to deal with, talk to your Physician about a mild pain reliever/anti-inflammatory you can take during pregnancy.

As far as packing goes, you may need to rest for a day or so to let the nerve relax, maybe a friend can come and help while you relax. At the airport, get there even earlier that you already planned and request a wheelchair, they will push you to your gate and haul your luggage, your children will like riding with you on the chair. You’ll be one of the first to get onto and off your plane, request a wheelchair on landing as well. You may need a doctor's written orders, usually you don’t but just to be safe I would be prepared with one.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us