Doctors Lounge - Gynecology AnswersBack to Gynecology Answers List
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.
Date of last update: 10/14/2017.
Forum Name: Obstetrics
Question: pregnant with chlamydia
|Paovale - Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:19 pm||
OK so Im lost. On 8/5/10 I had my second sonogram done. I was 34 weeks going into 35 weeks the next day. Then the nurse who was dong my sonogram tells me Im 36 weeks going into 37 weeks. What? My first due date was 8/13/10 but with my first sonogram they said 9/10/10. I don't have a private doctor which I can just call. I go to one of those Osceola Clinics. I try calling to change my appointment which is for the 21 of this month because I was tested positive for chlamydia. They gave me the medicine and said they will test me at 36 weeks to see if i still have it. When I try to explain to the appoinment lady she didn't want to change my appointment because is nothing to worry about. Im a first time mom and ofcourse Im goint to worry. I don't know when is my due date and If I break water and still have chlamydia I don't want my baby to get infected so I just perfer a C-section. Im register at Winnie Palmer Hospital in Florida. What are my chances of having a C-section and the babt not getting infected?
|Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:34 am||
C-section is a very serious surgery and should only be undertaken when there is definite risk to the mother or baby in a normal vaginal delivery. The treatment you were given should have taken care of the chlamydia and that is why they have told you not to worry, I'm sure. It is important to take the antibiotics as prescribed and completely. If so you will be safe. If by chance you had the infection going into labor you could be tested and a decision about delivery could be made at that time. Just going into labor would not put your baby at risk, particularly after treatment and you should be able to deliver normally.
The due date determined by the ultrasound exam is usually quite accurate but this depends on when it was done. A recent sonogram would not be as accurate for dating as an early one. You should be able to talk to a provider on the phone (someone besides the appointment maker). Leave a message that you need to talk to the doctor or midwife caring for you so they can call you back and discuss your concerns as well as your changing estimated due date.
|| Check a doctor's response to similar questions|
Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?
Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community
Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.
Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.