Question: pain in pelvic area

jeffshoney_05 - Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:58 pm

OK. Hopefully somebody can help me. I am just now entering my 39th week of pregnancy and I have just recently starting to have pain in my pelvic area. It's not constant, it just comes and geos. I can be laying down and not feel anything but every now and then when I get up, i start hurting real bad. Could it be that I am in labor and don't realize it? This is my first child.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:43 pm

User avatar jeffshoney_05

How exciting for you! You may be in labor, but don’t start the car yet, it doesn’t necessarily mean you will be delivering soon. There isn’t any sure way to determine delivery by labor pains, some women feel intense pains and aren’t dilating at all, some don’t feel them at all but are fully dilated and ready to deliver (that’s what we all want). Things to watch for – Loss of water, gushes at a time from your vaginal area, mucous discharge, increased uterine contractions that seem to become more predictable and don’t stop, even if you rest. You may start having bought of diarrhea or nausea. If you do think you are having water loss, it may be your amniotic sac has broken, you do need to go to the hospital and be checked, you are now on “count-down”. I’m hoping you have an OB or Midwife, call them right away. If you haven’t lost your water yet, delivery could be days away or hours, it’s up to your body, I’ve seen deliveries that I thought would be hours only take minutes. Pushing usually takes longer than a few minutes and most people can make it to the hospital or midwife once they realize they are in labor.

A few things to call your OB on right away, even if you aren’t having pains are: headache, swollen ankles, seeing spots, feeling lightheaded or dizzy or faint, having bleeding from your vaginal area or feeling a ripping or tearing sensation during a contraction.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:45 pm

User avatar Hello Jeffshoney_05,

I received your email but I’m going to answer it on the forum just incase other have the same question, hope you don’t mind.

Labor is actually put into three stages – The first stage is the beginning of uterine contractions and dilation of the cervix. The contractions will start out mild and as the baby moves down into the birth canal dilation of the cervix begin causing them to become more intense. Throughout this stage the cervix will soften and thin, called effacement, and open the cervix, called dilation. You won’t be ready to deliver until your cervix if dilated to 10 centimeters so you’ll have to control your desire to push until it’s time.

The second stage begins when the cervix is fully dilated and the baby begins to move down the birth canal and is born. This it the actual birth, the moment everyone’s been waiting for. This stage takes a lot longer than you would think, the moves make it look like it takes 2 pushes and 3 minutes, don’t plan on that, I’ve seen this stage last for a lot longer than that.

The third stage begins after the baby has been delivered but you have not delivered the placenta (afterbirth) yet. When you deliver the placenta the third stage will be complete, this could take 30 minutes or longer but who's counting by this time! :wink: