Question: Hot flushes and sweats

AHF - Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:35 pm

For the last week I have been experiencing hot flushes and excessive sweating every 30/60 minutes. I have checked my temperature both before and during the sweats and this is 35.6 - 35.8. The sweats are happening both day and night. I exercise regularly, do no smoke and weigh around 63kg. I am 46 years old. the only other symptoms are slight headache and occasional fatigue. I am confused as I though flushes and sweats are the bodies way of cooling the body but my temperature is not elevated. What should i do, the frequency of the sweating is really causes me issues.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:05 pm

The most obvious reason would be that you are entering the perimenopause period. I would talk with your doctor about the possible need for hormone replacement therapy. Sometimes this is only needed in the short-term and there are alternatives - even SSRI antidepressants have sometimes been found to be helpful. In addition to this, dress lightly with layers that can be removed when this happens and keep a hand fan handy along with a handkerchief. I know this is uncomfortable and very frustrating but there are effective treatments. Your doctor may choose to do a hormone level test to see if you appear to be experiencing decreased estrogen production.

If you are overweight, this can also contribute to the problem so I'm glad to see you are exercising regularly.