Question: Night Sweats During Period

135481 - Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:55 pm

My wife has been experiencing severe night sweats during her period for the last 6 months. We do not believe it's premature menopause because she is young. She just turned 30 this month. She has had blood work done and everything has come back normal. Tests were even done for TB. All seems OK. She has never had this problem in the past and doesn't seem to show any other symptoms. My question is whether this is normal or not? The night sweats only happen during her period. Is it normal for a young woman to have night sweats during her period?
 Rhonda P, CEP - Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:09 pm

User avatar Hello 135481,

What is the history of the other women in her family as far as menopause? Is she having any other symptoms and do they happen any other time during the month or during the daytimes? Has she started any new medications including herbals or teas? Have the blood tests included a thyroid panel?
 135481 - Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:30 am

Thanks for your response. As far as I know, premature menopause or complications relating to menopause have not been an issue in her family. She has not been taking any type of medication or natural herbs or teas. There are no other symptoms that she has informed me of. She has never experienced severe sweating during the day.

It's interesting that you mention the thyroid because we were almost convinced that it would be a thyroid problem since both her mother and sister suffer from hyperthyroidism. However, her last blood test did not show signs of hyperthyroidism. Then again, it was not a test done specifically to check for thyroid problems, though we made it a point to mention the fact that hyperthyroidism was common in her family. Can her thyroid seem normal during a routine blood examination even though it is not? Thanks again for your response and for your help.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:52 pm

User avatar Hello 135481,

Request thyroid if they weren't done and hormone levels to make sure she isn’t starting prematurely into menopause. If you have a copy of the bloodwork results, look for T3, T4 and/or TSH, these are the “usual” thyroid tests. As far as the test results reading normal, the ranges for different things go from lowest to highest acceptable levels and these ranges may change depending upon the lab the doctor uses. She can have a higher or lower thyroid level than usual but still be within “normal” limits so the doctor isn’t treating it but her body may still be responding to it.
 135481 - Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:14 am

AZ Paramedic

Thanks again for your reply. My wife has an appointment with her gynecologist on Monday so I'll make sure we address the thyroid and hormone issue. Nevertheless, I still question whether she's way too young for premenopause. Is it possible for a 29 year old young woman to go through premenopause? Is this extremely rare? She's currently 30 but began experiencing the night sweats at 29.
 parkerl - Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:03 am

Hi there,
My girlfriend is experiencing the exact same thing and she is 27. She has been to the dr. and they have run all the tests mentioned and they say she is fine. Is there something we are missing?
Thanks.
 135481 - Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:12 am

Parkerl,

I'm sorry, but I don't have any concrete information for you. We really never discovered why she was having night sweats. Her gynecologist seems to think it's related to some sort of hormone level issue and asked my wife to take an exam to measure the level of hormones, not sure which hormone, on the first day of her premenstrual cycle. Unfortunately, she has not had the chance to take this exam. One thing I can tell you, though, is that her night sweats have really subsided. In fact, I don't think she's had any in a couple of months. Earlier in the year, her night sweats were severe and frequent. Sorry I couldn't provide you with more info. Good luck to both of you.