Question: Spotting and on birth control

lwill - Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:44 am

I am concerned because I am currently taking etrostep birth control pills and I havent had any problems and I have been taking them for a while but recently I have been spotting. The spotting was very light at first and maybe only at one time during the day but now it has gradually gotten worse although it is still only a small amount of blood it happens throughout the day. This has been going on for about a week and a half. It is not time for my period but I am now experiencing cramps and very light "pressure" in my lower abdomen. What do you think this could be?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:53 am

User avatar Hi lwill,
Spotting may occur during the first few months of administration. However, when there has been no troublesome problems and one has been on a particular birth control pill for a period of time and then they begin experiencing spotting, sometimes dosage adjustments are required. I would suggest that you discuss this with your physician to see if an adjustment or different birth control pill is necessary.