Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: HELP! Pain/irritation during sexual intercourse

 julianie - Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:33 pm

Hi...I've been with my boyfriend for about 6 months and maybe about a month and a half ago I decided to lose my 'virginity' to him. I expected some pain the first (maybe 2nd and 3rd) times but the discomfort has not gone away's very frustrating. I know it couldn't have been some type of STD because he was tested before we made the decision and I had never been sexually (including oral) active with anyone else. He usually has to enter really slow for it to be less painful, and when he thrusts too hard or too fast my abdomen/pelivic area hurts a can even transcend to the anal area, which is so weird. I was raped as a child so maybe it's some type of physical defect left over from that...I'm sure it's not mental/emotional because I'm completely comfortable with him. For the past 2 weeks we had to to take a break because I took a trip and then I was on my i said usually there's pain when we have sex but after that two week break it was more uncomfortable. It was more that pain, my vulva had a burning irritation feeling after sex...we tried some lubrication but that barely helped afterwards. I'm still a little sore. Could it be the positions we use? Some positions are more uncomfortable than others. I also usually experience a LITTLE spotting after sex. HELP...PLEASE...I don't KNOW WHATS WRONG!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:36 am

User avatar Hi julianie,
Painful intercourse, (dyspareunia) may result for a number of reasons. A woman should always consult her physician if she is experiencing new or worsening pain, bleeding, or discharge following intercourse. If pain occurs at the vaginal opening it may suggest one of the following:
(Usually the most common cause) Inadequate lubrication during the arousal phase (may be associated with hormonal changes or medications, including birth control pills) Inflammation at the vulvar opening, painful spasms of the vagina that prevent intercourse related to physical conditions (scars, adhesions, infection) or psychological factors, (a traumatic sexual experience, rape) If physical causes are ruled out and it is psychological in origin, counseling may be helpful.
Deep thrust pain ( the woman feels as if her partner is bumping into something during thrusts). This type of pain may suggest pelvic causes, such as endometriosis, adhesions, the uterus tilting the wrong way etc.
Mid pelvis pain, may suggest an uterus origin. Pelvic pain on one or both sides may indicate anomalies with the fallopian tubes, ovaries, and ligaments.
A physician's physical exam may include a Pap smear, the collection of vaginal or cervical fluids for culture, an analysis of urine (urinalysis), and other laboratory tests, along with diagnostic studies, for example, a pelvic ultrasound. I would suggest an evaluation by your physician to identify the causative factor. I hope this information is helpful.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us