Question: Pregnant and taking Effexor XR

Momof3 - Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:38 pm

I was hoping someone could give me some information. I was put on Effexor XR about a year ago after Prozac was no long working for me. I take 75 mg daily. I ask at the time that if I became pregnant would it be dangerous to the baby. I was told Effexor was in a class of antidepressants that could be taken while pregnant. Well now I'm 13 weeks pregnant and now my doctor is saying I should stop taking it. But now I'm very [/b]concerned about the health of my baby. Have done it harm?

I was also told to take a dose every other day for a week? Then stop altogether. I heard there are horrible side affects of stoping Effexor that quick? Any advise?/[/i]
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon May 02, 2005 5:42 am

User avatar Hi Momof3,
There has not been widespread research on the effects of Effexor and pregnancy however, some of the studies suggest that when Effexor is taken at the later stages of pregnancy prior to delivery the baby may suffer withdrawal symptoms. There also is some documentation that the use of the medication odansetron in combination with tapring doses of Effexor lessen the symptoms but is not recommended for more than a two week time period (during pregnancy). I would suggest that if you begin experiencing side effects/withdrawal symptoms while taping your Effexor dose that you discuss other available options with your physician.