Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: bartholin gland cyst and surgery

pmkmp - Fri May 06, 2005 11:14 am

I had surgery in November of 2003 for a golf ball sized cyst in my bartholin gland. The gland was not removed, but drained. The doctor packed it after surgery and I was rechecked 2 days after the surgery. In time the stitches fell out. I have been to the doctor for regular visits since the surgery and he says the incision looks fine. I am concerned though because it left a sort of "crater" in that spot. Occasionally, once or twice a month, I experience irritation there (usually from tight clothing, underwear, intercourse, etc). It will look like a puss-filled pimple. I can easily pop it and the pain will subside. I soak the area wih warm water and keep it very clean. Is this all normal? It has been a year and a half since the surgery - how long will I deal with stuff? My doctor says I'm fine, but I'm looking for any other opinions and general support. Thank you!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat May 07, 2005 3:16 am

User avatar Hi pmkmp,
Approximately 10% of abcesses recur. My questions for you, after drainage, was the fluid sent for a pathology evaluation? Have you discussed with your physician that the area continues to become abcessed? If not, I would suggest you do so. Recurrent abcesses develop because when the abcess opens it doesn't completely drain, therefore plugs off, repeating the cycle. Again I would suggest discussing this with your physician.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 pmkmp - Mon May 09, 2005 9:11 am

Rntdj,

Thank you for your insight. I will certainly speak with my physician about the points you brought up. I appreaciate your help!

pmkmp

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us