Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: bartholin gland cyst and surgery

 pmkmp - Fri May 06, 2005 11:14 am

I had surgery in November of 2003 for a golf ball sized cyst in my bartholin gland. The gland was not removed, but drained. The doctor packed it after surgery and I was rechecked 2 days after the surgery. In time the stitches fell out. I have been to the doctor for regular visits since the surgery and he says the incision looks fine. I am concerned though because it left a sort of "crater" in that spot. Occasionally, once or twice a month, I experience irritation there (usually from tight clothing, underwear, intercourse, etc). It will look like a puss-filled pimple. I can easily pop it and the pain will subside. I soak the area wih warm water and keep it very clean. Is this all normal? It has been a year and a half since the surgery - how long will I deal with stuff? My doctor says I'm fine, but I'm looking for any other opinions and general support. Thank you!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat May 07, 2005 3:16 am

User avatar Hi pmkmp,
Approximately 10% of abcesses recur. My questions for you, after drainage, was the fluid sent for a pathology evaluation? Have you discussed with your physician that the area continues to become abcessed? If not, I would suggest you do so. Recurrent abcesses develop because when the abcess opens it doesn't completely drain, therefore plugs off, repeating the cycle. Again I would suggest discussing this with your physician.
 pmkmp - Mon May 09, 2005 9:11 am


Thank you for your insight. I will certainly speak with my physician about the points you brought up. I appreaciate your help!


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us