Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: pregnanct-smoking

aporter - Mon May 09, 2005 9:59 am

I am a smoker. I have been for a while. Iquit smoking totally when i found out i was pregnant with my first daughter. i am now 6 wks pregnant with my second baby and its like i crave the cigs! i wanna quit and i am trying but i keep having these very strong cravings.i have cut it down to no more than 4 cigs a day now. i know that my baby's lungs are starting to form and all that so my question is, since they are forming..is the smoke hurting them right now? i know ppl who have smoked their whole pregnancy and their baby was strong and healthy. i do plan to quit. i am just trying to shake the cravings.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue May 10, 2005 5:16 am

User avatar Hi aporter,
There is evidence that smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of having preterm labor, low birthweight babies, babies with medical problems, learning disabilities, etc. The more a woman smokes the higher the risk factors. You are doing the important thing by reducing the amount you smoke and trying to quit, I know, it is very difficult. You are correct, there are women that have smoked during their entire pregnancy and have healthy babies. They have been "lucky". The way I see it, it is sort of like playing a game of Russian Roulette. The one thing I can say that may give you some encouragement to quit.....Everytime you light that cigarette, picture it in your baby's hand, your baby is smoking it, you are actually forcing your baby to smoke a cigarette.....is that a picture you really want to see? You wouldn't force the baby to stand in front of a moving car, nor jump off a bridge.....that's about the only way I can sum it up. Good Luck to you and I wish you a safe uneventful pregnancy and delivery :)
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us